22 Nov Essential Checklist for House Relocation
Being a clean and organized person does not save you from the troubles of packing during house relocation. Even if you are equipped with perfect organizing skills, the stress of moving will still take a toll on you. It’s different, and you will have a lot on your plate. There is however a way to avoid being stressed out. You can hire professional movers and allow them to do the packing and transporting for you. Even with the presence of assistance, you as the home owner still have some responsibilities. You have to make sure that all of the household items are well accounted, not leaving anything behind in the old house expect for the items that are of no use to you. Super Man With A Van, an established removal company from Watford, says that it really is helpful to have everything organized so that the moving experience will be smooth and less stressful. In order for you to not leave anything important behind, below is a checklist that will be of big use to you until the moving day arrives.
Eight weeks before the move
Once the decision to move is final, immediately draw out your plans two months before your chosen date. Yes, two months. This is enough for you to get everything ready and not leave anything behind. During this time, you may be able to do the things below:
– Choose a new property that will fit in with your lifestyle and number of family members present. If you have decided to move into a busier place near the city proper, it is best to start looking for a property sooner. It’s hard to secure a place in this busy areas.
– Start making a list of the possible items that you need to bring to the new house. Bear in mind that you don’t have to bring all your items. Leave the items that you don’t use often or is of no relevance to you for over a year.
– Decide if you prefer to move your items on your own or if you want the services of professional movers.
Six weeks before the move
– In the event that you have decided to use the services of professionals, start searching for different companies. Choose one that is well established just like Super Man and Van. They have been around for more than 20 years. Get a quote from them and compare each one to the other so that you can narrow down your options.
– Calculate your budget. Once you get the quote and the company that you like, allocate the budget needed for the move, and also set aside an extra amount in case of emergencies.
– Inform important people in your lives including relatives, your bosses, the kids teachers, and more.
– Choose your preferred date to move and inform the moving company.
Four weeks before the move
– Though some prefer not to, it is also helpful if you obtain your medical records from your family doctor. This will be helpful to your new doctor in the future. Also obtain any records that are of great importance including the children’s record in their old schools.
– If you have pets, take them to the vet so that they can have their needed vaccines or shots.
– Start sorting your belongings by grouping them into two, the ones you want to bring and the ones you don’t need. This is the time when you can sell or donate the items that you don’t plan on bringing.
– Purchase boxes, tapes, and other materials needed for moving. If you choose to hire professional movers, they will provide this for you.
– If you are subscribed to anything, cancel them this time to avoid forgetting it in the long run.
Two weeks before the move
– If you chose to transport your stuff on your own, this is the time to bring your car to the mechanic and have it checked so that it will be in good condition before the move. If you plan on renting a lorry, book it early by calling the company. If your new place requires you and your family to travel via sea or air, this is the time to book the tickets.
– Change your old address into the new one.
– Have your Internet connection or your phone disconnected and settle the necessary bills.
– Secure a safe parking area for the lorry.It is important that you have a clear path so that the loading and unloading process will be smooth.
A week before moving day
– Communicate with your moving company and remind them of your schedule.
– Re-check the items that you need to bring. Make sure each box is sealed and labeled.
– Claim items that you have serviced such as your laundry, books and dvd’s that you have rented.
Two days before the move
– Re-check your items again and make sure they are well gathered in an area that does not obstruct the way of the movers.
– Defrost your fridge, disconnect your TV’s, dishwashers, and washing machines. Make sure that the dishwashers and washing machines does not contain water.
– Furniture that needs to be disassembled should be disassembled at this time.
– Re-check all your important documents
– Wake up early and re-assess your every corner of your home to check if there are items that are left unpacked.
– Facilitate the movers as they load all your items in the lorry to make sure no damages are done.
– Review all the paperwork needed to be signed and secure them where they won’t easily get lost.
– Provide the driver of the lorry your new address.
– Once all the boxes and appliances are safely loaded in the lorry, remove any clutter behind as courtesy to the new tenants or owners, and make sure no items are left behind.