Burnt Oak is a low-income neighborhood on Edgware’s southern outskirts, dominated by the Watling estate of the London County Council. Burnt Oak was primarily rural until 1924. During that time the London County Council purchased the property to construct 4,000 houses.
It was during that time when the London Underground station opened in Burnt Oak.
In Burnt Oak, the first Tesco supermarket opened in 1929. Burnt Oak has the highest level of deprivation in the borough and is also the most densely populated. As a result, Barnet Council has selected the area for several regeneration initiatives.
The Watling estate was finished in 1930 and contained plenty of green space, but several other amenities didn’t arrive until later. The estate’s perimeter was then expanded by private enterprises, including private firms like Henry Boot and Son.
Numerous commercial buildings and the ancient Redhill hospital buildings were demolished in the second half of the twentieth century, and many houses and flats were built in their place. In 1859, a union school for 150 children was built, which is still running. Moreover, the workhouse infirmary was turned into the Edgware Community Hospital.